Sunday, April 11, 2010

In spite of everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.


This evening was the premiere of the Masterpiece Classic "Anne Frank" on PBS. I was originally skeptic because I'm so attached to my production several years ago of the stage version and I thought that nothing could ever make me feel those same emotions I felt when I was Mrs. van Daan. But the show not only met all of my expectations, but surpassed them. The acting was so emotional and raw that I felt so strongly for the people that were forced into those situations. It made me hurt for their pains and difficulties, and it makes me sick to think of what my people, the Germans, have put innocent people through. What really amazed me was that she was always so hopeful. Even though Mrs. van Daan would scream about the Germans coming and killing them all, or Peter's quietness, or her mother's disapproval, she always tried to remain cheerful and hopeful, despite everything seeming to go against her.

But through all of these feelings, I also was inspired. One of Anne's entries was that she wanted to go on living after she's dead. It makes me realize that although I'm going through things personally, it's unlikely I'll be remembered a few years after my death, and that scares me. I always hoped that anything I wrote would one day be looked back upon and people would say that I had written something amazing and had provided some sort of insight into my times, but I haven't experienced something first-hand that has changed the course of history. Not to mention, I also am not quite the eloquent writer that Anne was. I guess that all I can hope for is to continue with remembering her and what she and millions of others had to go through in one of the worst times of history so that it may not be repeated now or ever.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. "

No comments:

Post a Comment